Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Overlooked and Under-Appreciated: A New Series On Juano’s Addiction

You know that feeling you get when you see a band at a club and you can’t believe they’re still playing that venue? I mean, clearly this band should be playing to thousands of screaming fans, with the fist-pumping and the bra-flinging. Oy!

Some of those bands obviously make it to that level, but what about the ones that don’t? What about the ones who are happy playing the club circuit, just as long as they get to keep making great music? And of course, there are those who got a taste of the big stage just to have a bunch of assholes in suits (read: “record company execs”) pull their contract to support some boy band.

That’s the focus of this new series, kids - great bands worthy of our attention. Some are local talent, others are smaller nationals, and a few played the majors far too briefly.

I’ve got a few bands in mind to get the ball rolling, but I’m looking for more ideas. Is there someone out there you think needs more attention? Or a band that dropped off the face of the earth and you’d like to know what happened to them? Give me some names and I’ll see what I can dig up – as much info about band members’ names or album titles would help immensely. Post them in the comments, folks!

And remember - I’m no detective, but I do play one on TV…

1 comment:

Virtual Stranger said...

Actually... I was recently wondering whatever happened to a band I saw once or twice at the Iron Horse back in the early 90's. They were called Tribe, had one CD (that I knew of) with a carousel-horse on the cover. I always thought they were really good and they never seemed to go anywhere...