Thursday, January 1, 2009

Why Is Getting Pooped On By A Bird Lucky?

Yes, you read that correctly.

Let me preface the question a bit, and put things in context. I was out shoveling snow in my driveway last night, and to make me more miserable I felt something dripping on my hat. It was far too cold to be ice melting off of the roof. And I heard a gaggle of geese, or maybe a murder of crows, or some kind of dirty birds cawing overhead. Or maybe they were just laughing. "No way", I thought. "It couldn't possibly be."

But, it turns out that it could. And when my girlfriend saw the seed-filled dookie atop my chapeau, she stopped shoveling and said: "Oh, that's good luck!".

Really? And it turns out she wasn't just trying to make me feel better. That's the myth - getting pooped on by a bird brings good fortune. Heck, a blogger from Arizona (My Poptart Tastes Funny...) actually posted a piece about what kind of luck is associated with what birds. I guess it makes as much sense as the rural myth of wishing on a truckload of hay, anyway...

What do you think, dear readers? I just feel dirty.

No comments: